Monday, November 18, 2013

Meanwhile, in the desert…

Traffic was crazy enough today, with some major roads closed because of a large conference in town, and then it rained…

Photo0014

Brian had gone home on the bus a bit earlier, but the storm hit while I was out picking up Honor at after-school band practice. There was thunder, lightning, and the skies just opened up. It poured hard for about an hour.
Photo0013

While waiting with a friend of Honor’s, for her mom to make it through the traffic and pick her up, we watched massive amounts of debris float merrily … and FAST… down the streets… including two tires! I wish I’d had my other phone or camera with me so I could have caught a video!
Photo0015

Like us… this guy (in the photo above and below) decided to grab a few photos! He’s actually standing up on a medium, the water was much deeper in the road. Like us too he was probably already soaked. As we left the school and headed to the car, I had to take off my loafers or risk having them float off of my feet. There were a bunch of people with pants rolled up to their knees (mine were already sopping wet, so why bother?) and also carrying shoes.
Photo0017

I think the driver of this GMC was having fun… unlike a lot of other drivers who were stalled in the deeper water. We could feel the water hitting the floor of our truck as we drove through it.
Photo0018

There was a LOT of this!
Photo0022

We saw some deeper areas, but my phone was out of space and I had to drive. Fortunately, we don’t have to go back out into it tonight. My dentist called and said they couldn’t get into the office this evening and we’ll re-schedule. Fine with me! No school tomorrow, so hopefully things will have a chance to dry out.

UPDATE :

Here are a few links to other sites with more photos -
http://kuwaitiful.com/news/kuwait-flooding-rain-along-avenues-mall/

http://news.kuwaittimes.net/heavy-rainfall-flash-floods-hit-kuwait/

http://248am.com/mark/information/weather-warning-2/

6 comments:

Nomads By Nature said...

Oh, my! As much as I really miss the rain and thunderstorms, I DO NOT miss that. Glad you got home safely!

Connie said...

It was messy, but fortunately people were, for the most part, driving very sanely!

RETA said...

Wow - your pictures are amazing! What a downpour!

RETA@ http://evenhaazer.blogspot.com

Connie said...

Fortunately (and unfortunately) I spent a lot of time PARKED in this mess and it was a good opportunity to safely grab some photos. My little phone only holds so much though.

Annalyn Reed said...

Wow that is crazy! Hope no one was hurt, or too wet. It's a good thing you got home safely!

Connie said...

Annalyn - I think it was just a big mess and very inconvenient more than dangerous. With all the floods and such, traffic was really bogged down and not moving very fast! :)