Saturday, December 7, 2013

Chapattis

This is a great, very simple, recipe that I found on the side of a bag of chappati flour. I’m copying it so I won’t lose it!

Chapattis are a classic unleavened flat bread used in Pakistani and Indian dishes.

3 cups chapatti flour (finely stoneground wholewheat flour)
1/2 tsp salt
3 tablespoon oil
1 1/3 cup warm water
1/4 cup chapatti flour (approx. – for dusting)

Combine first four ingredients and knead until you get a smooth dough. Separate into walnut sized balls. Cover. Allow to rest for one hour.

Dust rolling surface with flour. Roll each ball into a flat disc. Dust with flour, fold in half, then to quarter. Roll into a disc again.

Heat skillet over medium heat. Add the chapatti. Try to rotate constantly by hand to distribute heat until it is a uniform light brown color. Turn to other side and cook until light golden. Serve hot.

I made these today, and while the dough was resting, I threw together a ground beef sauce. Onions, garlic, red and yellow bell pepper. 2-3 tomatoes. Biryani spices and a small box of tomato paste. That simmered as I cooked the breads.

Apparently I should have doubled the meat topping as my family DEVOURED this meal. The chapatti recipe made about 20 chapattis or more.

I guess I need to find more toppings recipes. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Mmmmm sounds really good!

Connie said...

They are good! Basically, they are wheat tortillas, but are made with oil instead of crisco.