Friday, December 6, 2013

Pixie Perched on Popcorn

But at least she got off of the counter…

DSC07714

And here is our cowboy. Not just any cowboy mind you, but a Scottish cowboy. One of the things about raising American kids outside of America is that they really do not get all the cultural influences they might if we lived in the US. We aren’t ‘western’ and don’t wear western gear, so they have a good excuse to not be familiar with it, but we do our best to educate them anyway. Well, his school had a western day for spirit week. He had the hat – which is more Indiana Jones than Cowboy, but it works – but he wasn’t sure about a shirt. I pulled this grey plaid shirt out of his closet and he was incredulous… “Mom! Cowboys don’t wear plaid! Scotsmen wear plaid!” I had to go get my tablet and google western wear. He was also unsure about the button down shirt and didn’t want to look like an accountant. It was easier to convince him about the style than the pattern though. He eventually agreed to be a Scottish cowboy, because our country was settled by many Scots, although he was probably only fully convinced when he saw other kids wearing plaid… there was some comment about there being a lot of ‘Scottish cowboys’…

Anyway, I thought he looked quite handsome, no matter what sort of western wear wearing accountant Scots-cowboy he thought he was:
DSC07715

(I even brought him a buffalo… but he said that he didn’t need any props!)

Let’s see…

Pumpkin’s favorite time of day is around noon when Brad comes home for lunch. Pumpkin reeeeeeeallllly missed Brad during the day! I know when to expect Brad walking in because Pumpkin will hear him coming up the walk and will run to the door! He’ll holler for attention and lead him into the kitchen. 

DSC07719

He needs a ton of love before Brad is allowed to have lunch!

DSC07720

And here are a few bit of random wood carvings that my dad made as I told my friend Kim that I’d share with her when I found some. I’m not sure where my carved owl is, and most of the stuff that my dad gave us is put in storage, but I am happy that I have some of the pieces my father made with us. He was always crafting something in his woodshop!

DSC07716

He did some plaques, and also a number of 3D sculptures. This parrot is part of a set and it goes nicely with one of our papyrus pieces and our carved bench (from Egypt):

DSC07717

I also have this flower and horse carving:

DSC07718

One of these days we’ll get back together with our storage stuff again!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I just love this blog today :) All the wonderful this and that..and thank you for showing me the wood carving! so very lovely! He was quite the craftsman! Isn't it amazing to think..they were just our parents, but they had wonderful gifts and ideas.. I'm not sure how much I appreciated things like my father being a self taught confectioner (we had a real taffy pull hook on the outside of our house in the D.C. area) ..or my mothers innate understanding of food, but as the years go on, they are the things I remember and cherish most! cheering you on, my friend..as ever :)

Unknown said...

I just love this blog today :) All the wonderful this and that..and thank you for showing me the wood carving! so very lovely! He was quite the craftsman! Isn't it amazing to think..they were just our parents, but they had wonderful gifts and ideas.. I'm not sure how much I appreciated things like my father being a self taught confectioner (we had a real taffy pull hook on the outside of our house in the D.C. area) ..or my mothers innate understanding of food, but as the years go on, they are the things I remember and cherish most! cheering you on, my friend..as ever :)

Unknown said...

Hi!!
Awww I love your cats they are so cute! That is a very good look for Brian! Hope you guys ha a great Thanksgiving. We miss you guys. :)
Love,
Annalyn