Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Family silliness...at night!

I am not sure why we have so much fun with this, but Honor has really gotten a lot of mileage out of the line "...at night!", from one of our favorite Spongebob Square Pants episodes, "Graveyard Shift". Good mileage - not driving us crazy mileage. I have to say, when the Spongebob series first came out, I was determined to hate the show, but it has proven impossible. It looks stupid, but it tends to be very clever - and sweet. This particular episode managed to include Nosferatu - yes, THE Nosferatu from the classic '20's silent film - as a silly prankster.

Here is the bit where Honor got her line, from the beginning of the episode when Squidward and Spongebob have first been placed on night shift... and yes, she uses the line like this, quite effectively too - just when we least expect it:
  • Squidward: (customer walks up to counter; Squidward hands him a baseball bat) Here. Please hit me as hard as you can.
  • Spongebob: Psst, Squidward. I'm working in the kitchen (laughs) at night.
  • Squidward: (takes hat off; leans head on counter) Don't hold back.
  • Spongebob: (cuts to Spongebob in kitchen) Hey Squidward. Guess what, I'm chopping lettuce..at night. (cuts to Spongebob in the bathroom wiping it clean with himself) Look at me, I'm swabbing the bathroom...at night. (cuts to Spongebob at the grill picking up spatula, misses the spatula and hits the grill; screams) I BURNED MY HAND...at night. (cuts to Spongebob walking on the counter) Night, night, night, night, night, night, night, night, night, night, night. night, na-na-na-na-night! NIGHT!
  • Squidward: WILL YOU PLEASE!? Here, (hands Spongebob a bag of garbage) give me a moment's peace and take out the trash.
  • Spongebob: Allllllll right! (takes bag from Squidward) Taking out the trash. Taking out the trash...at night. (stops at the door) You mean outside?
  • Squidward: That's where the dumpster is, yes.
  • Spongebob: I don't know, Squidward, (leans face against window) it's kinda dark out there.

No comments: