Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Tag the Expat

I found this on a blog "Earth to Danie" and decided to play. Cairo Mama, tag, you're it!

5) Name five things you love in your new country:

- The people are very friendly. Genuine 'proud hosts' - look past the 'grab the tourist dollar' attitude some have, and you can still see the real warmth and welcome.
- The overall atmosphere is relaxed and laid-back
- There is always something interesting to see
- The kids' school is wonderful
- Everyone delivers everything! Whenever, whatever, you want it.

4) Name four things that you miss from your native country:

- Good food - oh for some actual SPICE!
- Traffic laws
- Green lawns to walk barefoot in and CLEAN, fresh air to breathe.
- Quiet

3) Name three things that annoy you a bit (or much) in your new country:

- The people can be possessive and too friendly (There's even a T-shirt, "Go away, I only came to see the Pyramids"). Friendliness is ok, most of the time; but I have missed so much of tour guide presentations because locals want to talk to me, or pick up my kids, or whatever.
- Stop honking your horns!
- Stop littering. If people would stop tossing trash on the ground, the clean-up workers might actually stand a chance of catching up with it all. Imagine...

2)Name two things that surprise you (or have surprised you in the beginning) in your new country:

- How green it is for a desert city.
- How amazingly cosmopolitan it is, and how wide a variety of people live here.

1) Name one thing that you would terribly miss in your new country, if you had to leave it.

- The people.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm looking forward to reading more about your adventures in Cairo!

Mama Seoul said...

Thanks for the tag! I was wondering if you could get some pajamas for Ian from the BioShop and some Karkadee. I could send you money by paypal or through the mail, whatever you prefer and after you receive the money, you could just buy as much as you can get for the amount. We have an APO address so it would be APO to APO. If you don't feel comfortable doing this, no problem. I completely understand. I just thought I would ask because Ian's pjs are getting small and they are so cheap at the BioShop for organic cotton and Curt has been craving karkadee.

You can e-mail me at kzamperini at hotmail to let me know what you think.

junglemama said...

Interesting, Sis. Speaking of shirts, Adam wore his Egypt t-shirt today.

Connie said...

Hi sis - I ought to go to the bazaar and pick up another batch of T-shirts. I found a place that usually has a good selection - some 'more trendy' - for your older, more cool-conscious, kids :-) (like a scarab depicted in a Celtic knot design).