Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Crepe-tastic!

So, I wanted a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, except when I want PB&J, what I really want is peanut butter and nutella, but it’s easier to say PB&J. Anyway, I headed to the kitchen for lunch… and there was no bread, so I was sad.

And, I didn’t want anything other than PB&J (aka PB&N). I was reeeeaaally hungry – for PB&J. Sad, starved, and at a loss as to what to do. I opened the fridge, because that’s what you ALWAYS do when you find yourself confused in the kitchen. It doesn’t matter if you are looking for your car keys, or wondering what time it is, or looking for your kid’s homework assignment, if you are in the kitchen and searching, you MUST open the fridge. The answer is always in the fridge. And it was this time too… right there under the little shelf drawer that you’re supposed to stash your deli meats or sliced cheeses in. Eggs. I didn’t have bread. I didn’t have time to make bread. But, I did have time to make crepes! And PB&J/N goes amazingly well on crepes!

Here’s an easy recipe:

3-4 eggs

2 cups milk

1 – 1.5 cup flour

1-2 tbsp sugar (optional)

dash vanilla (optional)

Whisk it all together. The batter should be very, very thin…. something between ‘milk’ and ‘heavy cream’ (I can’t think of a better analogy). The recipe is very flexible – I suggest 3 or 4 eggs because eggs come in different sizes. Play with the recipe and find what you like best… it’s hard to go wrong!

In a medium pan, melt a bit of butter, then pour a thin layer of batter. About 1/2 cup. Fry until top is solid, then flip to brown the other side (about 30 seconds).

Pile crepes on a plate, place on table. Provide peanut butter, nutella, jams, syrup, fruit, etc. and stand back! Or, if you make these in the middle of the day for yourself… like I did!… then no worry, the leftovers keep very well in the fridge for a couple of days. They make great afterschool snacks, and are also good for breakfast.

btw, for a lovely lesson on nutella – which was posted (or maybe I had just read it then) on a day I had made this treat for my family for breakfast, please go visit Forty Two.

8 comments:

Shannon said...

Crepes with Nutella are street food here in Germany. Any time there is a festival you can be sure there is a stand selling crepes smeared with Nutella. It is my kids favorite dessert. I make my own and can feed the entire family for less than the cost of one crepe out on town. They are so easy and tasty. I will have to try your pb&n version. Sounds like a Reece's peanut butter crepe. Yummm.

Connie said...

Hi Shannon, I've only started experimenting with crepes in the last few years. I always considered them 'breakfast food', and I'm not of fan of breakfast. They were also always, in my experience, served with fruit and whipped cream... nice, but very sweet. I made some one day to go with strawberries, but after one, I was sweeted-out... and then left wondering what to do with the extra crepes! Somehow PB&N got involved, and that was a happy find. btw, PB&J&N is also good (thin layers, with very little jam).

Expat Mom said...

Oooh, crepes! I've been going out with a handful of other moms on Thursdays and last week we went to a crepe place (run by actual Frenchmen) here in Antigua. We split three savories (pesto chicken, spinach with cream cheese and bacon, and four cheeses) and two dessert (nutella with bananas, strawberries with condensed milk) and they were heavenly! I also just gound a recipe for sourdough crepes that I really want to try. Need some eggs first, though!

Lynda said...

PB & Nutella! What are you.. 7? LOL Connie... connie.. connie...

The crepes I could do.. with some fresh squeezed lemon juice and sugar...

Connie said...

I was hungry! :D

Connie said...

Expat mom - Savory crepes... now that's a new one on me too! Who knew that a boring ol' breakfast item could be stretched so far?!

Anonymous said...

I lurvvvve peanut butter (esp during my pregnancy ) but never tried it with nutella..am very tempted to make the crepes tmorow and try PB&N..thanks for the idea Connie :)

Zakia

rachaelgking said...

Well hello, Ms. Resourceful! Love it!