Thursday, March 7, 2019

I'm Free!

Well, I'm sorta free...

A little bit free.

I'm allowed out of the wheelchair.


I met with the surgeon on Monday and I've been given leave to gradually start putting weight on the leg. I'm still supposed to wear the boot (bummer) when I walk, but can take it off while sleeping now. It is so much more comfortable!

The good thing is that I'm allowed to use the walker and roam about the house. The bad news is I'm still not putting full weight on it, no stairs, and no driving.

I also have to relearn how to do all the things. Carrying a cup in the wheelchair? Easy! Walker? Not so much. Unloading and reloading the dishwasher was fairly easy in the chair. I'm going to need a new technique with the walker. That's okay. I'll figure it out eventually.

Probably the thing that bugs me most is the boot is so flipping big. It's like walking around on a high heel shoe. ONE high heeled shoe and one flat shoe. Now, I'm not going to put a high heeled shoe on the good leg to balance it out - because that sounds like a dumb way to do physical therapy - but it is tempting. 

A couple of weeks like this and I should be back to walking(-ish) again and then I can probably drive again. I am supposed to use the boot for another 6 weeks though. Ugh. 

Anyway... here's Pixie. Even though she doesn't like the walker as much as she likes riding in the wheelchair, she is still taking care of me... when she doesn't ditch me for Brad...



No comments: