Saturday, September 13, 2008

Names

I am not sure what link I linked on, off of what article, (I was looking at fonts! Gotta love the internet!), but next thing you know, I am at this Baby Names website... no, no more for us. Thanks anyway! But I couldn't resist looking up the names we've already used, and offer the LINK here, for my pregnant friends .. and/or for others who just like to look stuff up randomly.

The girl's name Honor \ho-nor\ is pronounced AHN-er. It is of Latin origin, and its meaning is "woman of honor".
Honor has 10 variant forms: Honora, Honorah, Honorata, Honoria, Honorine, Honour, Nora, Norah, Norine and Norry.
For more information, see also the related name Annora.
A baby name that sounds like Honor is Henrie.
Honor is a very rare female first name and a popular surname (source: 1990 U.S. Census).

(I'd heard the name Honora before, pronounced Annora, and I always thought that was pretty too.)

The boy's name Brian \b-rian\ is pronounced BRY-en. It is of Celtic, Irish and Gaelic origin, and its meaning is "high, noble". Could also mean "strength". Historical: Brian Boru (10th century) was a warrior who became high king of Ireland and one of its greatest national heroes. He liberated the country from the Danes in 1014. Actor Brian Dennehy; film director Brian De Palma.
Brian has 14 variant forms: Brain, Bri, Briano, Briant, Brien, Brion, Bryan, Bryant, Bryent, Brye, Bryen, Bryent, Bryon and O'Brien.
Baby names that sound like Brian are Bran, Brann, Bren, Brenn, Bron, Brown, Bruin, Bryn and Byran.
Brian is a very popular male first name and a very popular surname (source: 1990 U.S. Census).
(I didn't think there were that many variants of Brian! I guess it's been around long enough to pick up aliases though.)

This story also reminds me of another blogger's mention that Jessica Alba's new baby is named Honor. I was very tickled to see that. We have never met any Honor except our Honor, but now we know there's another pretty little girl out there that shares this (ahem!) honor. I think virtue names are coming back in the US. We didn't actually mean to start anything in our family - that I have one, as does our daughter, was not actually planned! But we have been noticing more girls with names such as Prudence, Justice, Grace, etc. in Honor's age group. Is it a new trend? Or maybe we are just noticing it because of our daughter??

3 comments:

Mama Seoul said...

There will be a lot more Honors because of Jessica Alba, not to Caitlin proportions, but more.

Honor is a solid name that is underutilized. It is both unusual and classic.

In Ian's gym class at the Y last year, there was a girl named Caprice. That name is kind of negative in my opinion.

I am not thinking about names too much until I find out the sex. My next ultrasound is October 15, so I hope to find out then if the baby cooperates.

MsTypo said...

Power to Jessica Alba for giving her daughter a nice normal name. The names some of these famous people give their children makes feel bad for those kids when they grow up. LOL

Tanya said...

Look
http://www.flickr.com/photos/carlcarl/833293337/in/set-72157600870584070/
isnt it just fantastic! now she really can imagine her name up in lights.
(found via yeayoureright.com)