Tuesday, January 25, 2011

What are you looking at?

DSC09171

Not at my blog, I hope, for enlightenment, news, or any sort of answers. Sorry. My poor blog has not been getting much love over the past couple of weeks! We’ve been working on getting back into the swing of things. Winter break was nice, but school started off again full speed ahead. Add in the after-school activities, and we’ve simply had a very full schedule. Busy, but in a good way.

Soon, I hope to share some lovely photos sent to Honor for her Flat Stella project, but they are still finishing that up in class and I want to wait until they are done.

I’ve also started the New Year off by tackling a bunch of ‘fiddly’ projects that I really do not want to deal with, but are things that need doing anyway. For example, rather than merely putting the Christmas decor away, I sorted through it all, organizing and getting rid of stuff. Did the same with my make-up and toiletries. All the girly stuff that I keep in the bathroom or my dresser. Not a big job, honestly, but it was one of those bothersome boring things that needed to be done. I don’t have a lot of fancy expensive jewelry, that’s not my style. I prefer artsy silver, leather cords, and unique pretty stone, over dainty gold or generic looking gems. The kids also have their own little keepsakes, that I hold safe for them, and we have a few items that belonged to grandparents, or are otherwise ‘special’ if not of any actual value (like my dad’s dogtags, or a favorite keychain, pretty rocks, etc). I sorted it all so that if the kids want to explore, they can get into things easily, without making a mess, and so I’ll still be able to find what I need when I’m looking for it! I want to sort my craft goods and yarn stash, go through the kids’ closets and pj/sock drawers/shoes/toys. I also need to sort their books. I’m NOT looking forward to the filing cabinet, but paperwork is on my agenda too. Thank goodness we have part-time help to tackle the bulk (time-consuming) housework so I can focus on this stuff. I have NO excuse not to do it, so it’s getting done! Next thing you know, I’ll have my ebooks organized and my music arranged in nifty playlists … or, you know, not…

In addition to the house and family busy-ness, I’ve been trying to fill my time with more crafting, reading (yes, actual books… I used to do a lot of that and I miss it), and also, music. I’m trying to re-teach myself guitar (but I need a real guitar, Honor’s small one is not working well for me), and I am trying to follow along behind the kids’ in their piano lessons. I’ve made my way through their books and have reached “Jingle Bells”… I’m not as good as the kids are, despite my several years each of violin and guitar lessons. I can read the music, but piano is different. I think it’s starting to click though. The kids come by it so much easier! They are doing so well that it’s hard for me to believe they’ve only been playing since September of last year. They are very helpful too. The other night, as I struggled with a song, Honor came over, sat next to me, and started talking to me like their teacher does. “You play the right hand only, I’ll play the left..” etc.

It’s been pleasant, to be this happily busy, I was feeling like a slacker with the blog though, but that’s life, and life is good. :)

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

I'm even more guilty. I do read your posts, but I haven't been commenting! I wanted to do the Flat Stella but... well, never got a roundtuit, as the saying goes. :( Work has been busy and we are in the deep grip of winter. I think all of the Northeast is slogging through!

Anyway, have a great week. I'll be back. ;)

Connie said...

Rebecca, no worries! My net has been on again/off again and I can't always comment when I read blogs. I get timed out :p I understand the guilty feeling! And I didn't advertise loudly for Stella. I figured that those who had the time and inclination would grab her up, and those who didn't, might feel pressured if we asked too 'loudly', and I didn't want that. :) I expected that everyone would be busy enough over the holidays without any added homework! Stella has had some wonderful adventures, and Honor and I will work to share them soon.
Stay warm (as possible) and safe back there in that harsh cold. I've been seeing some scary temps on the news back there... brrrrrr!

Jill said...

You are an inspiration Connie ... it's so wonderful to see your kids getting so excited over music. It really reminds me that I need to do something with mine! Piano, guitar, whatever... as long as it's not the dreaded recorder!

Hope all is going well with you - glad you're staying busy! And if you ever need someone to show "flat stella" around ... let us know!

Connie said...

Jill - I am so thrilled that we could finally get the kids into music. They both love music, but before, they just weren't ready! Brian didn't have the interest/focus to learn, and Honor would never have sat still for 30 minutes lessons! This was the perfect time for them and we lucked into a great teacher :)
Stella has already gone back to school, but thank you! She only had a short time to travel, which is why I didn't advertise too much, but she had a lot of fun.